Double Opt-in offers the ability to add a call to action button in a campaign in order for contacts to opt-in to marketing communications. After clicking the CTA guests will be taken to a landing page. It is this action of landing on that page that confirms that guest has double opted-in.
Property and Group level
At the Property and Group level, this is a One-time only campaign marketing email. It will be one of the available options in your Campaign Type drop-down menu.
- A Double Opt-in from a property or a group email campaign that targets only one property will opt in the property profile as well as the group profile.
- However, a Double Opt-in group campaign that targets multiple properties will only opt in at the group level profile. This is the recommended option for centralized marketing.
Set up the Double Opt-in Landing Page in Account Settings, prior to sending the campaign. The Double Opt-in Landing Page is what will load after your guest clicks on the CTA button of your One Time Marketing Campaign. You may also preview the Landing Page from the Double Opt-in Settings page.
Create your Double Opt-in landing page.
- Add a logo
- Add a banner image
- Add text to your Double Opt-in landing page
- Preview your landing page
Double Opt-in Localization
The Double Opt-in landing page can be translated into different languages to make it localized to clients and it is available to preview in the selected language.
On the Double Opt-in editing page in Account Settings, there is a drop-down menu of options for Translations. In selecting a language a pop-up box with the current text will appear and you will input your translation for each section in the selected language. Note the translated text must be complete otherwise, the text will appear in the default language.
Double Opt-in is a One-Time campaign type marketing email that will be sent from a Marketing IP. As such it will not be sent to unsubscribed profiles and will not be sent to implicit consent if you send marketing campaigns with explicit consent only.
Refer here for information on Double Opt-In for Contact Lists
Does not send to unsubscribed email addresses
The Double Opt-in merge tag is available on all campaign types. We recommend adding this to Confirmation, Modification, and Pre Arrivals emails so as to try and capture this for guests who are unsubscribed but booking. Pre Arrival emails are no longer sent to unsubscribed but it is good practice to add the link here as well.
The wording that this merge tag publishes is “Click to subscribe”
The recommended merge tag is in the Module Editor where you modify the URL - when you click a CTA. Add the Double Opt-in merge tag behind a CTA to provide your guest with a link to opt-in. This URL link (the landing page) will allow Revinate to capture and store ‘proof of consent’ on your behalf. You can add a Double Opt-in CTA in any campaign (including transactional emails such as Confirmation and Modification) in order to gain more opt-ins, as these are sent to all subscription statuses.
Double Opt-in will be a default segment on all properties and group levels - the country is EU member states (in UK) and consent is Implicit -- properties can do stronger campaigns to everyone in those states, or everyone etc. This segment can be edited or duplicated.
The segment is a default segment and will appear towards the bottom of the segments page. The segment will be named “GDPR - Double Opt-in Consent Required”. You can segment by “email subscription status - is - subscribed - double opt-in” in Segment Builder once someone has moved to that status.
Double Opt-in Top Tips:
- Add a promo code to your campaign to encourage bookings!
- Be clear and concise in what data you are capturing and what it will be used for
- Include a clear Unsubscribe link in the campaign - it should be as easy to unsubscribe as it is to subscribe
- Decide if you want to target all profiles or just those in known EU member states
- It is strongly recommended that you obtain legal advice to determine if you should gather this for just known profiles in EU member states, if you should also include unknown countries, or if you should capture this consent for all profiles.
Best Practices | Informational Campaign Post Check Out
As part of the preparation for GDPR, the more conservative proof of consent approach would be sending multiple Double Opt-in campaigns to profiles in your database. This would include:
- A One Time Double Opt-in Campaign to your existing database
- Adding Double Opt-in merge tags to all communications you send out - including Confirmation and Modification campaigns
- Setting up a recurring post check out 'informational email' to request new guests to opt-in to the Marketing Campaigns
Below is an example Double Opt-in post checkout campaign, that can be sent after checkout, X days post check out. To set this up, make sure:
- Campaign type is ‘We Miss You’
- The segment is GDPR/Double Opt-in Consent Required (consider adding Explicit consent to this segment if you do not believe you have proof of consent for these profiles)
- Information content thanking the guest for their stay, and asking them to opt-in if they want to continue to hear from the hotel (no marketing content)
- Make sure you are clear that this person is subscribing to receive personalized emails relating to them etc
The campaign can be scheduled for ‘X’ days after check-out or even day of check-out.