What’s a CNAME: A Canonical Name record (CNAME) specifies a domain that has to be queried to resolve to the original DNS authentication.
- Host: The host name, or prefix, the CNAME record will be set to.
- Points To: The URL you are setting as the destination for the host.
- TTL: How long the server should cache information.
How do I add it to our DNS? The following is created to assist users who are not sure where to start when adding the provided CNAMEs to their DNS/Hosting Provider. Before jumping into the steps in completing this update, it’s essential to call out the following.
Consult with IT/Network Admin
Please make sure that any change within the DNS doesn't impact other parts of the business. A DNS includes Website, Email, Support, or other records related to a program’s Domain Name. Changing a configuration could result in other parts of the business to become inactive. Make sure to use Cation.
Hosting Providers Support Material: The following links point to popular hosting providers and the steps required to add this authentication. Please note that if you do not see you Hosting Provider (Or DNS Manager) to submit a request into Support@Revinate.com and we can update the answer to reflect that related information.
- Godaddy: https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-a-cname-record-19236
- RackSpace: https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/creating-dns-records-with-cloud-dns/
- NetworkSolutions: http://www.networksolutions.com/support/cname-records-host-aliases/
- Web.com: https://knowledge.web.com/subjects/article/KA-01097/en-us
- Hostinger: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-use-hostinger-dns-zone-editor
- HostGator: https://documentation.unbounce.com/hc/en-us/articles/204011920-Setting-Up-Your-CNAME-with-HostGator
- A2Hosting: https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/cpanel/cpanel-domain-features/using-the-cpanel-zone-editor
- HostWinds: https://www.hostwinds.com/guide/advanced-zone-editor/
- InMotionHosting: https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/domain-names/dns-nameserver-changes/create-cname-record
- HostPapa: https://hostpapasupport.com/add-cname-record/
Common Mistake: Most DNS providers do not require the inclusion of the root domain within a DNS. For example, if your account was provided the following Host Value: blog.Domain.com, then the hotel will want to add everything before the domain (Example: blog).